breakfast bake ingredients
Breakfast casseroles are such a convenient option for large families, which is why I was always so disappointed when I would make them just to realize that no one in my house- including me really like them. They almost always contained some sort of soggy bread that was completely unappealing to me. So when I finally tried this make ahead breakfast bake recipe with JUST egg and milk, I got so excited! And sure enough, it was just what we had been waiting for.
We have experimented by adding all kinds of different proteins and veggies. But here are some of our favorites. You can add as many or as few as you like.
- Smoked Ham, diced
- Sausage, cooked and drained
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Brussel Sprouts
Making good choices
We eat nearly all of our meals at home, and of those meals, almost all of them are from scratch. We aren’t fanatical and we will totally grab a box of donuts on a Saturday morning just for fun. But for the most part, we try to make good choices. That being said, we sometimes find ourselves slipping into bad habits. So just recently, I discovered the 100 Days of Real Food challenge and plan to jump in really soon! Although it won’t be a major shift, it will mean making deliberate choices! So I’m really thankful to have nutritious, whole food recipes like this one in my recipe rotation already. I love having regular go-to recipes that we can feel good about.
Need a bit more?
If you need to bulk up your breakfast a bit, I recommend adding these cast iron skillet buttermilk pancakes or 100% whole wheat biscuits to go on the side! This breakfast is so wholesome and high in protein, it is sure to leave everyone satisfied!
Make Ahead Breakfast Bake
- 14 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup chopped veggies
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- Cook breakfast sausage in a skillet and drain.
- Mix together all ingredients in a 9×13 baking dish. Add drained sausage.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 375 and bake covered for 30 minutes. Take off foil, bake additional 30 minutes. Serve topped with extra cheese, sour cream, avocado and hot sauce.