A sausage lover’s dream- this savory and delicious homemade sausage pizza is made with crumbled pork sausage, shredded mozzarella, and a quick homemade pizza sauce.
why you should try Homemade Sausage Pizza
I’ve never really been a fan of sausage pizzas. Truth be told, I don’t love Italian sausage on my pizza. The fennel-anise flavor is just not one I’m super fond of. But this homemade sausage pizza with regular ground pork sausage is a different story- it is savory and absolutely delicious! It’s so good it’s hard not to eat the whole thing. I like to use Jimmy Dean original ground pork sausage. But if you can’t find it, that’s okay! Any ground pork sausage will do. And if you like Italian sausage, then by all means, use that! Either way, this homemade pizza is by far superior to the convenience version, and the mix of salty sausage, sweet homemade pizza sauce, and creamy mozzarella is perfect!
how to make homemade sausage pizza
Step 1: Prep the crust
To make this pizza, start with a 13 inch unbaked pizza crust. You can buy one from your local store in the freezer section, or try my easy, Quick-Rise Homemade Pizza Crust. I begin by brushing the crust generously with olive oil and sprinkling on seasoning. I found this Kinder’s one that is a great blend of garlic, salt and pepper.
Then, using a fork, poke holes all along the pizza crust so that no air pockets form. Sprinkle liberally with half of the parmesan cheese.
Step 2: Make the Quick Sauce
To make the quick pizza sauce, just add the tsp of brown sugar and all the seasonings to the tomato sauce. Stir to blend together and then spread over the top of the pizza crust, leaving a quarter inch margin around the outside.
Step 3: Add Your Toppings
Lastly, sprinkle on the cheese, sausage, and remaining parmesan. Be sure to leave room around the edges! Then just pop into the preheated oven at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
FAQ and substitutions
Do I have to cook the sausage before putting it on the pizza? Yes. Because the pizza doesn’t take that long to cook, you definitely want to precook your sausage. Some people do add thin bits of raw sausage to their pizzas, but I advise precooking it for both safety and flavor purposes.
What type of sausage do I use? Traditionally, sausage pizzas are made with Italian sausage. Italian sausage contains fennel, which gives it the distinctive licorice-type flavor. I use regular pork sausage in this recipe, but you can use any type of crumbled sausage that you like.
Can I omit the brown sugar? Yes. If you like a more tangy sauce, feel free to omit the brown sugar. OR Substitute it for coconut sugar or regular table sugar.
Can I use a store-bought crust? You can use a premade store bought crust. Just adjust the bake time according to the package instructions.
DID YOU MAKE IT? LET ME KNOW BY LEAVING A REVIEW BELOW OR TAGGING ME WITH A PIC ON INSTAGRAM @GOOD.TO.GATHER
Homemade Sausage Pizza
- 1 13 inch unbaked pizza crust
- 3 Cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 Cups cooked, crumbled pork sausage
- 1/2 Cup parmesan
- 3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
Quick Pizza Sauce
- 4-6 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- To make this pizza, start with a 13 inch unbaked pizza crust. You can buy one from your local store in the freezer section, or try my easy, Quick-Rise Homemade Pizza Crust.1 13 inch unbaked pizza crust
- First, brush the crust generously with olive oil.3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Then, sprinkle your seasinings on the oiled crust. I use a blend of garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle half of the parmesan over the surface of the crust.1/2 Cup parmesan
- Stir together the quick sauce, and then spread it over the top of the pizza crust, leaving a quarter inch margin around the outside.
- Lastly, sprinkle on the cheese, sausage, and remaining parmesan. Be sure to leave room around the edges! Then just pop into the preheated oven at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.3 Cups shredded mozzarella, 1/2 Cup parmesan, 2 Cups cooked, crumbled pork sausage
Quick Pizza Sauce
- To make the quick pizza sauce, just add the tsp of brown sugar and all the seasonings to the tomato sauce. Stir to blend together.4-6 oz tomato sauce, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp brown sugar
Jomelyn Mauermann says
I love this pizza recipe! Making it special with my favorite sausage is the best.
Callie Morgan says
Yes! I love how easy it is to adapt to your preference! ❤️
I think this is the best pizza I’ve ever made! The combination of this dough recipe plus the sausage is amazing!