Quick and Easy Cream cheese biscuit pastry filled with fruit jam or chocolate chips and topped with a vanilla glaze.
Easy Cream cheese Biscuit Pastry
Now a birthday breakfast tradition in our home, this cream cheese biscuit pastry is a cinch to pull off and only takes a few minutes to throw together. The texture is biscuit-like but much lighter and creamier. You only need a few ingredients to get started!
- Bisquick Baking Mix
- Full Fat Cream Cheese
- Jam or Chocolate chips (For the filling!)
- Confectioners sugar
- Heavy Cream or Milk
have fun with pastry fillings
One thing I love about this quick biscuit pastry recipe is how easily you can adapt it to make everyone happy. This recipe makes TWO pastries, so it’s super easy to add different fillings to suit everyone’s tastes. Half of my family are chocolate lovers and the other half love fruit, so we’ve found one chocolate chip and one raspberry or strawberry is perfect for us! We usually have half a “loaf” left over too, so I get to nibble that with coffee later in the day. But you can store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
For a different spin on things, try this filling:
BROWN SUGAR FILLING:
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
Simple vanilla glaze
The vanilla glaze is my go-to for most desserts and pastries. It is quick to throw together and just gives the treat a little oomph. The only trick is to not thin it out too much by adding in too much milk. Star small and mix it up thick, then slowly add more until it gets to the right consistency. And NEVER drizzle it onto a hot pastry or it will just melt right off. I find waiting 5-ten minutes is just enough cool down time.
Did you make it? Let me know by leaving a review below or tagging me with a pic on instagram @good.to.gather
Cream Cheese Biscuit Pastry
- 4 Cups Bisquick
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 stick butter cold
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Jam or Chocolate Chips
Simple Vanilla Glaze
- 1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, "cut in" the butter and cream cheese to the baking mix.4 Cups Bisquick, 6 oz Cream Cheese, 1 stick butter
- When the mixture looks crumbly and the butter pieces are no larger than a kidney bean, add in your milk and mix. The mixture with look shaggy and a little dry.2/3 Cup Milk
- Using your hands, turn out the mix onto a piece of parchment paper and begin pressing it together. It should form into a ball. If it is too dry, add one more Tbsp of milk and try again.
- Press down on the ball and using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a 12 X 6 rectangle. Try not to overwork the dough.
- Once rolled out, make roughly 1 1/2 inch "cuts" all the way down each long side toward the middle. Space them every 1/2 inch, leaving two inches uncut in the center of the dough for your filling.
- Spread 1/2 cup of your favorite jam, OR 1/2 Cup chocolate Chips on the center of the pastry. Then fold each cut strip of dough over the jam toward the center with the end of the strip in the center.1/2 Cup Jam or Chocolate Chips
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is lightly golden brown.
- While your pastry is baking, make your glaze. Once the pastry has been removed from the oven, allow it to cool for ten minutes before drizzling on the glaze. This keeps the glaze from melting on the hot pastry and becoming too thin. Slice and serve! Enjoy!
Simple Vanilla Icing
- Mix together the confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla until the glaze is smooth.1 Cup Confectioners Sugar, 3 Tbsp Milk, 1 tsp Vanilla