This sweet and savory chicken salad is the perfect blend of diced red grapes, chopped celery, Craisins, glazed pecans, and creamy full fat mayo. Spread it on a sandwich or simply serve it on a bed of romaine with veggies or crackers.
How to make perfect chicken salad
My husband and I used to argue about how to make the perfect chicken salad. We both grew up eating Southern Style Chicken Salad with chopped boiled egg, dill pickle relish, and a mustard-mayo base. At some point, the Southern chicken salad revolution happen and everyone realized they’d been doing it wrong. We abruptly switched to a sweet chicken salad with nuts and fruit and were all the more happy for it. But hubby never got the memo.
For years, he just thought chicken salad should not be sweet and was completely incredulous at the whole idea. But eventually, he got hungry enough one day to try it- and with great reluctance, admitted that it was utterly delicious. We both still enjoy a nice variety of chicken salads. Southern chicken salad being on the menu on occasion- especially with some added jalapeno instead of the pickles… YUM. But for sure, this recipe has taken the place of what a PERFECT chicken salad ought to be.
the best ways to serve chicken salad
This chicken salad is so versatile. It is good ANY way you eat it. But some of our favorites are:
- On a Croissant
- Served with slices of Honeycrisp Apple
- With Wheat Thins or Zesta Crackers
- On a piece of Sourdough Toast
- With Cut up Celery, Carrots and Cucumbers
In the spring and summer, I like to make up several different salads like my Sweet and Savory Bacon-Broccoli Salad and Fresh Fruit Salad with Mint and serve them all together for a fun, light lunch or dinner!
Did you make it? Let me know by leaving a review below or tagging me with a pic on instagram @good.to.gather
Perfect Chicken Salad
- 4 Cups cooked, chopped chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 Cup full fat mayo, Blue Plate or Hellmans
- 1/2 Cup chopped candied pecans Sam's Cranberry Pecan Topping
- 1/2 Cup Craisins
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Cup chopped red grapes
- 1/2 Cup chopped celery
- Combine chopped chicken, grapes, craisins, pecans, and celery.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo, seasonings, and sweet pickle relish.
- Add the mayo mixture to the chopped ingredients and stir just til combined. Serve over a bed of lettuce, with crackers, or on a sandwich.